News

Gov Adeleke’s convoy comes under gunfire 3 days after election

Tension gripped Osogbo on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he received his Certificate of Return and visited the Ataoja of Osogbo’s palace. The attack triggered gunfire between the governor’s security team and the suspected assailants, although officials said no casualty had been recorded as of the time of reporting.

The incident happened just days after Adeleke was declared winner of the 2026 Osun governorship election, making it another major development in the state’s tense post-election atmosphere. Residents have been urged to remain calm while security agencies investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Reports from Tribune Online and other major Nigerian newspapers say Adeleke had earlier collected his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before proceeding to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, where he paid a courtesy visit following his election victory.

Gunfire erupts outside Ataoja’s palace

Eyewitness accounts indicate that suspected hoodlums were already around the palace area before the governor’s departure. As Adeleke and members of his entourage prepared to leave the palace, gunshots were heard, sending traders, residents and visitors running for safety.

According to Punch and Vanguard reports, the shooting involved an exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy. However, the exact motive behind the incident has not been officially established.

Related news

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that there was an attack involving suspected hoodlums but said the government could not immediately determine what led to the shooting.

Alimi said security operatives attached to the governor successfully repelled the attackers and confirmed that no casualty had been recorded during the incident.

Security agencies expected to investigate attack

The incident has renewed concerns about security in Osun following weeks of political tension linked to the governorship election. Several political actors had previously raised allegations of violence during the campaign, with rival parties accusing each other of involvement in separate incidents.

At this stage, there is no official confirmation linking Wednesday’s attack to any political party or individual. The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain under investigation, and authorities have not announced any arrests.

Witnesses said the sound of gunfire caused widespread panic around the palace and nearby commercial areas. Some traders reportedly abandoned their shops while motorists hurried away from the scene as security personnel responded to the attack.

As investigations continue, residents are expected to rely on official information from the Osun State Government and security agencies rather than unverified claims circulating on social media.

Readers can follow continuing coverage of the Osun election, Governor Ademola Adeleke and developments across Nigeria on New Daily Prime.

Back to top button