Generator fume kills two Polytechnic students, one survives

Two students of Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, identified as Bilikisu Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliu, have died after inhaling fumes from a power generating set placed close to the window of their apartment overnight.

The spokesman of the Kogi State Police Command, William Ovye-Aya, confirmed this to The PUNCH on Friday.

Ovye-Aya, a Superintendent of Police, said the victims’ lifeless bodies were reportedly recovered from the room by neighbours in the early hours of Thursday.

According to him, the generating set was placed close to the window of the victims, they slept off and died before daybreak.

He said{ “There were three students from Kogi State Polytechnic inside the room.

“One Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru, and Mercy Ojochegbe.

“When they slept inside their room, a generating set was switched on close to the window of their apartment.

“They all slept off and inhaled carbon monoxide as a result of the generating set that was switched on.

“Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were already dead when neighbours discovered the sad incident in the morning, while Mercy Ojochegbe, who was still breathing, was immediately rushed to the hospital.

“The incident was reported at the ‘B’ Division of the Nigeria Police Force, Lokoja and investigation is ongoing.”

However, Ovye-Aya admonished residents to always be safety conscious to avert carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes.

Recall that in December, a young man and his girlfriend reportedly died after inhaling fumes from a generating set locked inside their apartment overnight in Ugborikoko community, Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State.

Reports gathered showed that the man had just celebrated his girlfriend’s birthday party together with the lover at a nightclub.

On leaving the party, the two lovers went to the lady’s shop and put on the generating set inside before sleeping off.

They died before daybreak.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button