Breaking

Reactions As Trump Praises Tinubu’s Resolve To Tackle Terror, Protect Christians

By Jonathan Nda-Isaiah and Aza Msue, Kaduna

Strong reactions have greeted United States President Donald Trump’s commendation of President Bola Tinubu’s efforts to tackle terrorism, with the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) and Middle Belt Forum (MBF) questioning the impact of the US security intervention on the ground.

Trump had declared that it was “a true honour” to stand with the Nigerian leader in confronting terrorists and making Nigeria stronger and more prosperous.

The commendation came in response to a letter earlier written to him by President Tinubu.

In a letter dated July 6, 2026, and released on Wednesday by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Trump commended Tinubu’s resolve to address Nigeria’s security challenges, particularly the violence affecting Christian communities.

“Thank you for your thoughtful letter. Your kind words mean a great deal to me, and I appreciate your decisive leadership on behalf of the Nigerian people.

“I applaud your resolve to tackle the issues plaguing your nation, especially the violence affecting Christian communities, and it is a true honour to stand with you in the fight against terrorists and to make the Federal Republic of Nigeria stronger and more prosperous,” Trump wrote.

The US President described the relationship between Nigeria and the United States as crucial at a time when conflict had spread across West Africa and beyond, saying both countries shared a common goal of confronting terrorism in all its forms.

According to him, the US-Nigeria 2026 Defence Cooperation Roadmap has established a robust framework to advance that objective.

“I am proud to have deployed the United States Special Operations Forces — among the most elite military units anywhere in the world — to equip the brave men and women of the Armed Forces of Nigeria with the skills, tools and intelligence they need to protect your homeland and ensure the safety and security of citizens, particularly those of faith who have been under attack. I look forward to our continued discussions over the course of my presidency,” he stated.

The Presidency said the US-Nigeria relationship had strengthened in recent times, with both countries working closely on security challenges.

It recalled that in November last year, Presidents Trump and Tinubu had agreed to establish a Joint Working Group co-chaired by the National Security Advisers of both countries.

Through the group, both nations agreed on measures, including training, intelligence-sharing and joint operations, to roll back terrorist activities.

According to the Presidency, one of the highlights of the collaboration was the coordinated attack on ISIS hideouts in the Lake Chad area on May 16, which led to the killing of the group’s top leader, Abubakar Al-Minoki, and several of his lieutenants.

The Presidency also noted that last week, the US Assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Frank Garcia, visited Abuja, where he met senior government officials and pledged to strengthen security cooperation and collaboration in other areas.

 

We have not seen any positive impact from US support – MBF

Meanwhile, the Middle Belt Forum (MBF) said the American government’s security partnership with Nigeria had yet to improve the security situation in the region.

In a statement by its spokesman, Luka Binniyat, the forum said the US-backed intervention had not produced the desired results.

While welcoming the security partnership between Nigeria and the United States and appreciating Trump’s concern for the protection of Christians in the Middle Belt, the forum said:

Back to top button