News

APC rejects Adeleke’s victory in Osun state

The Osun State All Progressives Congress (APC) has refused to accept Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election result, saying it believes he did not receive the highest number of valid votes cast in the 15 August governorship election. The party says it is reviewing election records before deciding whether to formally challenge the result, which means Adeleke remains the declared winner unless a court rules otherwise.

Oluwole Oke, director-general of the APC governorship campaign committee in Osun, said the party would not rush to congratulate Adeleke despite the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declaring him winner.

Speaking on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on Monday, Oke said the APC was still examining the conduct and outcome of the election.

“We won’t be under any sort of pressure to easily reach out to congratulate Senator Ademola Adeleke because we believe he did not score the highest valid votes,” Oke said.

He added that the party was studying and inspecting election records before announcing its final position.

“We’re studying the records. We’re inspecting the records. And very soon, we would make our position known to the members of the public,” he said.

Related news

INEC declared Adeleke winner with 511,067 votes

INEC declared Adeleke, who contested on the Accord platform, winner after he received 511,067 votes.

His closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the APC, polled 444,815 votes, while African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam finished third with 17,180 votes.

Adeleke won 19 of Osun State’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji won 11.

The result gave Adeleke a margin of 66,252 votes over the APC candidate.

New Daily Prime reported INEC’s declaration of Adeleke as winner of the Osun governorship election, confirming the official figures announced after collation.

Under Nigerian electoral law, INEC’s declaration remains valid unless it is overturned through the election petition process. A political party disputing the result must therefore present its complaints and supporting evidence before the appropriate tribunal rather than simply reject the result publicly.

APC considers possible tribunal challenge

The latest comments strengthen earlier indications that the APC could challenge the Osun election result.

The party previously said it was reviewing results from all 332 wards in Osun before deciding whether to use the legal options available under the Electoral Act 2026.

Osun APC spokesperson Kola Olabisi had said the party would consult its lawyers before deciding whether to approach the election tribunal.

“We shall not hesitate without further delay to explore the window allowed by the extant Electoral Act after the due consultation with the team of our lawyers based on their professional advice,” Olabisi said.

At this stage, however, the APC’s criticism should not be confused with a court finding that the election result was incorrect.

The party has not yet publicly presented evidence establishing that Adeleke received fewer valid votes than Oyebamiji, and no tribunal has overturned INEC’s declaration.

Oke’s claim therefore remains the APC campaign organisation’s position while its review continues.

Tinubu congratulated Adeleke despite APC reservations

Oke also addressed President Bola Tinubu’s decision to congratulate Adeleke after the result was announced.

Tinubu, who is the national leader of an APC-led federal administration, congratulated the governor and said the outcome showed the confidence Osun voters had placed in him. New Daily Prime reported Tinubu’s reaction following Adeleke’s victory.

Oke said the President was acting in his position as leader of the country and could therefore recognise INEC’s declaration even while the state APC continued to examine the election.

“Mr. President, His Excellency, President Bola Tinubu, is the father of the nation. And as a democrat, based on the announcement of INEC, he issued a statement credited to him,” Oke said.

“He’s a father, he’s a leader, but we’re on the spot.”

The distinction highlights the different positions emerging within the broader APC following the election.

While Tinubu has publicly recognised the declared result, the Osun chapter is keeping open the possibility of a legal challenge.

Adeleke calls for reconciliation

Adeleke has meanwhile called on his opponents and supporters to put the election behind them and work towards peace in the state.

As New Daily Prime previously reported, the governor said after his victory that there should be “no victor, no vanquished” and extended an olive branch to his opponents.

The United Kingdom has also assessed the election and congratulated Adeleke while commending Osun residents for their participation. New Daily Prime reported the British High Commission’s reaction to the poll.

The political battle may therefore not be completely over.

If the APC decides to file an election petition, it will have to set out specific grounds for challenging the result and provide evidence before the tribunal. Until then, Adeleke remains Osun’s duly declared governor-elect for a second term.

 

Back to top button