News

Harry, Meghan return to Britain as children prepare for UK school

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are preparing to return to live in Britain later this month with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, six years after leaving royal duties for California. The Harry and Meghan UK return will see the children begin school in Britain in September, but the couple are expected to remain non-working royals, meaning the move should not be seen as an automatic return to official royal duties.

News of the planned move has triggered a strong reaction, including among readers of The Telegraph, which first reported details of the family’s return. One response featured by the newspaper summed up opposition to the move with the words: “God help us all.”   The reaction comes against a wider background of mixed, and often negative, public views about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex following years of disputes with the Royal Family.

A YouGov poll cited by The Guardian in July found that 22 per cent of Britons viewed Meghan positively, while 65 per cent had an unfavourable opinion. Harry was viewed positively by 33 per cent and negatively by 58 per cent.

Archie and Lilibet to start school in Britain

The couple are expected to relocate from California later in August with Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five. Reports say the children have been enrolled at a British school and are due to start in September.

Harry and Meghan are expected to live in a private residence, believed to be outside London, rather than on a royal estate. They are also reported to be keeping their properties in California and Portugal.

The arrangement is important because the move does not restore the couple to the position they held before stepping away from royal duties in 2020.

Harry and Meghan will remain private, non-working members of the Royal Family under the arrangements agreed after their departure. There is no confirmed plan for them to resume official engagements on behalf of the monarchy.

New Daily Prime has previously reported on Prince Harry’s work and his departure from the Sentebale charity, one of several organisations closely associated with the Duke since he stepped back from royal life.

King Charles informed as reconciliation hopes grow

King Charles was reportedly told about the family’s plans on Sunday. The development follows a recent improvement in relations between Harry and his father, although reports suggest his relationship with his elder brother, Prince William, remains strained.

Harry, Meghan and their children visited Britain last month, when Charles reportedly saw Archie and Lilibet for the first time since 2022. The King is understood to welcome the prospect of having his son and grandchildren closer.

Education Secretary Lucy Powell also welcomed the development and expressed hope that the return could become “part of a bigger reconciliation” within the family.

New Daily Prime has continued to follow King Charles III and major royal engagements as the monarch balances public duties with family matters.

Related news

Prince Harry resigns as patron of Sentebale amid charity crisis

President Emmanuel Macron to visit King Charles in UK state visit

UK tightens Windsor security ahead of Tinubu’s state visit

Security arrangements remain unclear

One issue that has repeatedly affected Harry’s visits to Britain is security.

The Duke previously argued that he did not feel comfortable bringing his wife and children to the UK without what he considered adequate police protection. He lost a legal challenge in 2025 over changes to his publicly funded protection arrangements.

The security arrangements for the family’s latest move have not been made public.

The Home Office said Britain’s protective security system was “rigorous and proportionate”, but it does not normally reveal details about individual arrangements because doing so could create security risks. Decisions are based on assessments involving government, police and royal representatives.

That means the Sussexes’ return does not automatically give them full taxpayer-funded police protection wherever they travel in Britain.

New Daily Prime has also reported on security arrangements around Windsor and major royal events.

For now, the most significant change is personal rather than constitutional: Harry and Meghan are bringing their children back to Britain and placing them in British education while remaining outside the group of working royals.

Whether the move eventually leads to a closer relationship with King Charles, Prince William and the wider Royal Family remains uncertain.

 

Back to top button