Breaking

Presidency Knocks Atiku Over 2027 Promise To Restore Petrol Subsidy

The Presidency has criticised former Vice President Atiku Abubakar over his pledge to restore the petrol subsidy if elected president in 2027, describing the proposal as deceptive and capable of undermining Nigeria’s economic recovery.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Communication, Sunday Dare, made the remarks in a statement on Thursday following Atiku’s declaration that he would reverse the subsidy removal if elected.

Dare accused the former Vice President of attempting to manipulate Nigerians for political gain, arguing that restoring the subsidy could undermine what he described as ongoing economic recovery across various sectors.

“Atiku Abubakar: Your pronouncement that you will bring back fuel subsidy is drenched in hypocrisy and deceit. It is an unpardonable manipulation of the public psyche, designed to hoodwink unsuspecting Nigerians into voting for you,” Dare said.

He added that Atiku’s proposal could halt the progress recorded under the current administration, saying, “The ongoing recovery across various sectors of our national life annoys you, and will be halted if this thinking of yours is implemented.”

Atiku had made the pledge during a Facebook Live session while responding to questions on the removal of the petrol subsidy and the utilisation of savings from the policy.

The former Vice President said he initially did not oppose the subsidy removal but questioned how the savings had been spent, asking whether the funds had been used to improve healthcare, education and security.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” Atiku said.

His position has also drawn criticism from the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, who questioned the former Vice President’s consistency on the issue.

Wike described Atiku as a “voodoo economist” and accused him of changing his position on subsidy removal for political reasons, recalling that Atiku had previously supported the policy.

The FCT minister said Atiku had in 2022 advocated the removal of the subsidy because he considered it fraudulent, questioning why he now wants the policy restored ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

Wike urged political leaders to maintain consistency in their positions, particularly when addressing policies with major economic implications for Nigerians.

Back to top button