News

Saudi Arabia joins US military action as Iran conflict widens

Saudi Arabia has joined the United States in carrying out air strikes against Iran-linked armed groups in Iraq after Tehran launched missiles towards American forces in Jordan. The renewed fighting on Tuesday, 28 July, ended a brief pause in direct hostilities and raised fresh concerns about a wider Middle East conflict, disruption to flights and pressure on global energy prices.

People living in or travelling through the region should follow local security instructions, check official travel advice and contact airlines before starting their journeys. The latest military action does not automatically mean borders or airspace have closed, but restrictions can change with little warning.

The US military said Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, widely known as the IRGC, fired several ballistic missiles at American personnel stationed in the region.

US Central Command, or Centcom, said the missiles were intercepted and no successful strike on the targeted forces was reported. A ballistic missile is launched high into the atmosphere before travelling down towards its target at high speed.

Iran strikes Qatari gas field within hours of threat to Gulf energy
Iran strikes Qatari gas field within hours of threat to Gulf energy

Iran said the missiles were aimed at an American air base and a Centcom facility in Jordan. The attack followed renewed US military action against Iranian interests, according to Tehran’s account.

US and Saudi forces strike militias in Iraq

Following the attempted missile attack, American and Saudi forces carried out coordinated strikes against sites used by Iran-aligned armed groups in Iraq.

Centcom said the operation targeted weapons and logistics facilities belonging to groups accused of attempting attacks against US forces and Saudi energy infrastructure.

The US military described the groups as being directed by the IRGC. However, that claim has not been independently established in all the public reporting, and Iran has denied responsibility for some previous attacks blamed on forces aligned with Tehran.

Reports said the strikes hit members of Iraq’s Popular Mobilisation Forces, an umbrella organisation containing several armed groups. Some of its factions have close links to Iran, while others operate within Iraq’s state security structure.

At least 20 militia members were reported killed, although casualty figures from conflict zones can change and may be difficult to verify independently.

The Saudi action marks a further escalation in the regional conflict. Riyadh had previously faced attacks and threats against its oil facilities and other infrastructure from armed groups linked to Iran.

The development also comes after more than 30 attempted drone attacks against American and Saudi interests over three days, according to the US military. Washington said those attacks failed to reach their targets.

Trump warns of stronger response

US President Donald Trump issued a blunt warning after the Iranian missile launch and said Tehran would face a strong response.

His remarks came as diplomatic efforts to halt the fighting appeared to be losing momentum. Trump had paused US attacks after 13 consecutive nights of military action, creating a short opening for talks.

However, the United States and Iran had not agreed to a permanent ceasefire. A temporary pause is simply a short halt in fighting and can end without a formal agreement between the parties.

The latest Iranian missile launch has now placed further pressure on attempts to revive negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear programme, sanctions and the security of shipping routes.

Trump had already warned that American strikes could resume if Iran rejected an agreement. His administration has also demanded guarantees that Tehran will not develop a nuclear weapon.

Iran insists that its nuclear programme has peaceful purposes, although Western governments have repeatedly questioned its activities and levels of uranium enrichment.

Strait of Hormuz tensions deepen

The renewed conflict has also increased concern over the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway between Iran and Oman that is central to global energy supplies.

Iranian forces reportedly seized three oil tankers in the strait as tensions rose. Iran-linked Houthi forces in Yemen were also accused of disrupting Saudi shipping near the Bab el-Mandeb passage, another important route used by commercial vessels.

Any prolonged disruption to these waterways could delay oil deliveries, raise insurance and transport costs and contribute to higher petrol and diesel prices.

The latest military action does not mean the Strait of Hormuz has automatically closed. Decisions affecting shipping will depend on Iran, the US, neighbouring governments and commercial operators.

Businesses using Gulf shipping routes should monitor official maritime warnings and review security plans. Travellers should also check airline updates because carriers may change routes to avoid conflict zones.

The fighting follows months of direct and indirect confrontations involving Iran, the US, Israel and armed groups in Iraq and Yemen. The Pentagon has also faced questions over the human cost of the conflict, with more than 600 American troops reported wounded across the wider campaign.

Related news

Back to top button