Edo: Five workers die from electrocution, crane accidents at Chinese firm

No fewer than five workers have reportedly died at Rongtai Building Materials Nigeria Limited, located in the Utesi community, Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of Edo State, within the past month.
DAILY POST reports that this was disclosed during a visit by the Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, to the company on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
It was learnt that some of the workers died from electrocution, while others fell from a crane.
The governor’s visit to the company was prompted by a violent protest by workers and some community youths following the death of a forklift operator at the establishment.
During the protest, a section of the firm was reportedly razed by the protesters, including more than 20 vehicles and motorcycles.
Speaking during the visit, Governor Monday Okpebholo tasked the management of the company with strengthening its safety measures to protect the lives of its staff and workers.
Okpebholo, who commended the management for its investment in the state, however, urged it to remain committed to its corporate social responsibility to the host community.
“What happened here came to me as sad news, and the incident is condemnable. An establishment of this nature should not be attacked like this.
“The protest was triggered by anger over the death of a young man who was a staff member of this company. Our culture values life and prosperity, and I advise you to ensure the safety of your staff.
“Security and safety measures should be put in place. If you had a clinic here, what happened would not have happened,” he said.
He expressed satisfaction that the company was already building a clinic, had commenced the process of purchasing an ambulance and was recruiting doctors.
“Your organisation should carry out its corporate social responsibility. There should be a good road within the premises where you carry out your business.
“For the sake of corporate social responsibility (CSR), just fix the bad road to discourage hoodlums from attacking vehicles coming into your company. Criminals take advantage of bad roads to cause havoc.
“As a government, we are sorry for the loss of lives and property. I am glad that you have over 8,000 workers here, and I believe you will employ more,” he added.
Okpebholo said he had discussed with the Edo State Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor, the need to establish a police post at the company and provide accommodation for officers.
“Let it be like a semi-barrack to protect the area because we have a whole community here. Having 8,000 workers here is no joke,” he stated.
Speaking on behalf of the company, Huang Shibin commended the governor for visiting the facility to obtain first-hand information about the incident.
He said the organisation had been fulfilling its corporate social responsibility but alleged that some elders in the community had received large sums of money from the company without allowing the benefits to reach other members of the community.
Huang appealed to the governor to help improve security around the company and create a friendly and conducive environment for the business to thrive.