Sinner ruled out of 2026 final Grand Slam

World number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the US Open, ending his hopes of a title defence at Flushing Meadows and closing out a stellar season on a disappointing note, the Italian confirmed on Friday.
The top-ranked player pulled out of the tournament because a right knee problem, which had already kept him sidelined since his Wimbledon triumph, failed to heal in time.
He last featured on court in July, defending his Wimbledon crown, and subsequently sat out the Masters 1000 tune-up events in Canada and Cincinnati.
Explaining the decision, Sinner said his medical team had worked hard on his recovery, but that a recent return to practice in Monte Carlo made clear he wasn’t yet ready to compete at the required level.
He described the situation as deeply disappointing given how much New York means to him, adding that he had been eager to return to the atmosphere at Flushing Meadows.
This marks the first Grand Slam Sinner has missed since his major debut back in 2019.
Read also on New Daily Prime:
Smith shocks tennis world in Melbourne
Sinner reclaims World no.1 with Paris masters glory
Sinner sweeps past Bublik to reach Vienna semis
Despite the setback, 2026 has otherwise been a landmark year for the 25-year-old. He swept the season’s first five ATP Masters 1000 events Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome while compiling a 44-3 win-loss record and lifting six titles overall.That run included completing the career “Golden Masters,” having now won every Masters 1000 event at least once.
His season did hit a rough patch at Roland Garros, however, where a heat-related collapse saw him crash out in the second round despite entering as favourite, and he was unable to defend his Australian Open crown earlier in the year.
The previous season told a similarly high-achieving story. In 2025, Sinner finished with a 58-6 record and six titles, claiming the Australian Open and Wimbledon, reaching the finals of the French Open and Tour Finals which he won and falling in the US Open final.That New York defeat came against Carlos Alcaraz, who won in four sets to reclaim the world number one ranking.




