EFCC, ICPC investigate N12bn NFF intervention fund
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the utilisation of the N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
The fund was approved to settle outstanding players’ wages, bonuses and other financial obligations involving Nigeria’s national teams.
The NFF disclosed the ongoing investigations in a letter dated August 18, 2026, responding to a Freedom of Information request seeking details of the fund’s utilisation and financial records.
In the letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and signed by Onoja Joshua on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not release the requested documents because the matter was already under investigation by the EFCC and ICPC.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is the subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC),” the letter stated.
The NFF added that “all documents relating to the request are before” the two anti-corruption agencies.
The federation, however, did not disclose the specific transactions or activities being investigated, when the probes commenced or whether any of its officials had been questioned.
The N12 billion intervention fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear outstanding obligations to Nigeria’s national teams, including 15 months of unpaid salaries owed to Super Eagles coaches, players’ allowances and payments due to the senior men’s and women’s teams and the Under-20 side.
The investigation comes amid growing scrutiny of the administration and financing of Nigerian football following the recent poor performances of the national teams and calls for reforms within the NFF.
Meanwhile, the Senate Committee on Sports has summoned officials of the NFF and National Sports Commission to an emergency meeting over Nigeria’s declining football fortunes.
The committee chairman, Senator Abdul Ningi, said the Senate was particularly concerned about the Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the 2027 Women’s World Cup.




